Monday, December 11, 2006

Zap! Kaplow! Blammo!

Thanks to everyone who left a comment last time. Getting comments is a bit like getting applause when you're on stage - it reassures you that there really are people out there, and you're not just whistling in the dark. (Good to see another Floyd fan, Steelbreeze!)

I want to give a little plug to a new craft zine, Proud to be Crafty. It's edited and produced by Alexandra Byrne, who blogs as LittleLixie. The current edition is the second; the first was limited to 50 copies and sold out in gratifyingly quick time. The new issue costs £1.50 and is available at http://www.proudtobecrafty.blogspot.com/.

It is an endearing mixture of fun and interesting articles, including a fascinating piece on the online publishing service lulu.com. It also comes with an attractive length of Taos yarn to play with :)

I'm considering working with Richard to produce some video podcasts for the Knitting & Crochet Guild, as I can't go out to groups to run workshops and pass on my hints, tips, and expertise. Would anyone like to suggest a topic or area of knitting or crochet that particularly needs to be covered? Obviously I want to do topics that people are going to find useful, as well as entertaining, so I don't want to go off into areas in which nobody is interested.

I had hoped that I would get a bit of peace and quiet to concentrate on my knitting from last Friday onwards. Friday was the launch date for the new Nintendo games console, the Wii, and Richard has been telling me far more than I ever really needed - or wanted - to know about the damn thing for months. He'd preordered one at a shop in Durham, so he was able to go down there at 11:30pm on Thursday for their midnight launch. Of course, once he brought it back, he had to set it up to make sure it was working.

I think he got to sleep at about 4 o'clock...

Now, to be fair, I must admit that it is jolly good fun, although rather strenuous for those of us with puny muscles because its big selling point is its motion sensitive controller, which allows you to swing it to hit the tennis ball, roll the bowling ball, and box your virtual opponent. The one thing it can't do, however, is make Richard shut up about it. Instead of telling me how amazing it was going to be, he's now telling me how amazing it is.

Still, it could be worse, he could have painted his bedroom black and been listening to death metal...

DSCF3025

Tigger says, "Nobody ever asks me if I want to play on the Wii..."

3 comments:

Amerynthe said...

Oooh, Tigger with crossed paws for all the world like a feline vampire in his kitty coffin! Love it!

And you're right, Richard could be playing with something far more dangerous than his Wii ...

littlelixie said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the plug Heather. If you want to contribute something for a potential issue three then just say the word. As a longtime admirer of yours I'd like to request podcasts on designing, sizing of patterns and getting things accepted by magazines (in print or online).

Mary Anne said...

it would be so cool to hear your voice on a podcast, Heather!
Thank you for the link to the Guild site, it was fascinating to read about Knit A River and the knitted village and more.
hugs,
mary anne