Friday, December 19, 2008

A little present for my faithful readers!

I had a request today for the vintage pattern I used to make these cutie booties, back in May this year:

Vintage booties

As it's out of print and out of copyright, I am happy to provide it below.

Happy Christmas :))

Vintage Booties

Originally published in Girl's Own, volume 2

UK: Use DK yarn and 3.75mm needles. (I used RYC Cashsoft DK.)

US: Use sport weight yarn and size 5 needles, or worsted-weight and size 6.

Not sure how much yarn – about 30g.

Centre pattern:
([sl1, k2tog, psso], K2, M1, K1, P1, K1, M1, K2 [sl1, k2tog, psso])

M1 = Make 1, or add one stitch, lots of ways to do this (probably easiest to Google them).

Seeded stocking stitch:
1: (K1, P1) to end
2: P
3: (P1, K1) to end
4: P

Slip-stitch rib:
(yarn forward, sl1 purlwise, K2tog) – repeat to end of row, every row

Cast on 53 sts


Short-row toe:
Rows 1 to 11: Knit
Row 12: K22, work centre pattern, turn
Row 13: P15, turn
Row 14: K1, centre pattern, K3, turn
Row 15: P17, turn
Row 16: K2, centre pattern, K4, turn
Row 17: P19, turn
Row 18: K3, centre pattern, K5, turn
Row 19: P21, turn
Row 20: K4, centre pattern, K6, turn
Row 21: P23, turn
Row 22: K5, centre pattern, K7, turn
Row 23: P25, turn
Row 24: K6, centre pattern, K14, turn
Row 25: P whole row
Row 26: K13, centre pattern, K13, turn
Row 27: P
Row 28: K12, centre pattern, K12, turn
Row 29: P
Row 30: K11, centre pattern, K11, turn
Row 31: P
Row 32: K10, centre pattern, K10, turn


Ankle separator:
Rows 33 to 35: K
Row 36: sl1, (YO, K2tog) to end
Rows 37 to 39: K

Calf:
Rows 40 to 55: Work seeded stocking stitch, increasing one stitch at each end of rows 46, 48, 50 and 52

Top:
Rows 56 and 57: K
Rows 58 to 68: Slip-stitch rib
Rows 69 and 70: P

Cast off (bind off) loosely, and sew up.

Crochet edging, UK version:
With 4mm hook, work (1ch, 1dc) into every other cast-off stitch right round. Slip-stitch into first ch to close round.

Next round: (ch3, 6 dtr, 1tr) into first ch-sp, 1dc into first dc of previous round, then [(1tr, 6dtr, 1tr) into every ch-sp of previous round, 1dc into every dc of previous round]. Slip stitch to 3rd ch of initial 3-ch to close round.


Crochet edging, US version:

With G-6 hook, work (1ch, 1sc) into every other bound-off stitch right round. Slip-stitch into first ch to close round.

Next round: ch3, 6 tr, 1dc into first ch-sp, 1sc into first sc of previous round, then [(1dc, 6tr, 1dc) into every ch-sp of previous round, 1sc into every sc of previous round]. Slip stitch to 3rd ch of initial 3-ch to close round.

Thread ribbon through eyelets.

8 comments:

littlelixie said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! I have enough yarn from the red baby coat to make these. Yes, I know I've had the pattern for ages, but seeing the illustration again reminded me how much i want to make them. I've just started a hat, but the bootees are next on the list - yes they have mysteriously jumped ahead of the several UFOs you know about (and several you don't) - oops.
Love,
Vicki

Unknown said...

I was bumming around the web for some not-so-plain booties and these are beautiful. I made them in sock weight on 2's and they are perfect newborn size. I was looking to see if I could find the book online (Google Books or Project Gutenberg) Do you know the year it was published? Author? Thanks so much for providing the pattern.

Heather said...

Hello, hd - glad you liked the pattern.

I'm afraid that's all the information I have (it was reprinted in the Knitting and Crochet Guild newsletter when I received it), but Girl's Own was a popular girl's comic/magazine in the early/mid-20th century, so it's probably from an early issue of that. Sorry I can't be more help...

roxbnl8 said...

sorry-- are these done on dpns? -sam

Heather Cawte said...

Hi, Sam - no, on straight needles. No doubt they could be rejigged to be made on dpns, I expect?

KnittyDebby said...

Love your "translation" of this pattern. I have linked to this on my blog here: http://historicneedlecrafts.blogspot.com/2013/12/historic-knitting-pattern-baby-booties.html

Thanks, Debby

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.